Thursday 31 October 2013

Taking things for granted

Over the past few days I've had a bad cough and today I have lost my voice. This is bad because I have a Halloween party to go to tonight so I'm not going to try to talk for the next eight hours and I'm going to drink lots and do some steam inhalation to get my voice back. Hopefully I'll get it back for the party. That's not the point though. You see, losing my voice got me thinking about all the things we take for granted, like speaking for instance. I am one of those types of people who talk all the time, and way too much. I don't even think about talking, I'm never thinking "oh gosh talking is so amazing! I am so grateful I can talk!" Because talking is just something that most people can do and you just don't think anything of it. However, losing my voice has made me appreciate it a lot more.

There are lots of other things we all take for granted too. Like food, family, education, our homes. These things have always just been there and so we just assume that they always will be. We aren't grateful enough for them, even though some of them are key to our survival. We take them for granted. There are people out there who don't have some of these things. They don't take them for granted because they're things that these people don't have very often. We don't understand what it's like to not have enough food or have no education because these things come so easily to us.

I feel like I should be more grateful for the things I have. I wish everyone had what I have. It makes me sad to think of children starving to death in other countries while we sit here eating as much as we want.

Claire x

No comments:

Post a Comment