Thursday 1 March 2018

Book Haul

This book haul is lots of books I've collected over the past couple of months but I hadn't posted about them yet so I thought I'd do that now. Its been snowing loads where I live so I've had some time to make this post.

First up is a book I picked up from a charity shop and that it The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly. This book originally had a library binding cover on it but it was damaged so I removed it. I had heard of this book before which is the main reason I picked it up. As far as I can tell its about a young boy who reads a lot and finds the real world and the fantasy worlds beginning to meld together. My copy is quite damaged so I may have to replace it if I enjoy it a lot. 


The Dark Heroine by Abigail Gibbs was another charity shop find. I think the words "Dinner with a vampire" was what first drew me in. I am a sucker for fantasy book and I love a good vampire novel. It sounds like its about a girl who ends up being drawn into a world of vampires and it sounds like there will be some romance too so I'm excited to read it. 


Next, and the last of the charity shop finds, is White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I also saw her other popular book in the shop but this one appealed to me more. I actually know next to nothing about this book as there's no real blurb on the book but the reviews call it a "funny, generous, big-hearted novel" and I quite like not knowing much about it.


I got King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard which is the 3rd book in the Red Queen series from a shop called the works and it was so cheap for a new book. I recently read Red Queen and I loved it so much so I'm really glad I got this one. I wrote a bit about Red Queen in one of my recent posts so if you want to know more about that then check out that post.


I think I got Heartless by Marissa Meyer from amazon. As I recently finished the Lunar Chronicles I had to get this since I enjoyed her writing so much. It's a retelling about the Queen of Hearts which is all I really needed to know to pick it up as I love retellings. It's about before Alice and before all the Queen's evil ways so I'm really interested in finding out how she is portrayed in this book.


Next is One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus. I got this because my friend Lish raved about it and made me really want to read it. On the back it says "Five students walk into detention. Only four leave alive." and the mystery has drawn me in. I am so excited to read this book, I love high school, murder and mystery so this is right up my street.


Obviously I got The Cruel Prince by Holly Black which I have read and I love it. It's a YA fantasy about a girl called Jude who ends up living amongst faeries along with her sisters. She's bullied by a prince called Cardan and she just wants to belong. This book is full of dark magic and plot twists and I highly recommend it. 

Next is Everless by Sara Holland. Its set in a world where your life is currency and a girl tries to save her father and herself from running out of time. It sounds so good and reminds me a lot of a film I watched. I really love the concept of this book and I cant wait to read it.

I also got The Language Of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo. I am actually currently reading a book by Leigh Bardugo called Shadow And Bone and I'm really loving it so I'm glad I got this book. Its a collection of six illustrated stories filled with "betrayals, romance and revenge" set in the Grishaverse which is to do with the series I am reading the first book of. I'd like to point out how pretty this book is and how excited I am to read it.

Next is Carve The Mark by Veronica Roth which is another YA fantasy. Its about two young people, Cyra and Akos, who grew up in enemy countries and Akos is kidnapped and forced to serve Cyra. Cyra has the ability to cause pain just with a touch and she's used as a weapon by her brother. Cyra and Akos hate each other but as Akos fights for his survival he discovers Cyra is also fighting for hers. I'm a huge sucker for YA fantasy so of course I got this.

I didn't know much about Scythe by Neal Shusterman when I bought it but the cover appealed to me a lot and so did the description once I read it. Its set in a world where the only way to die is to be gleaned by a professional scythe and Citra and Rowan become apprentices. They have to learn the art of killing and having the responsibility of choosing their victims. Then they are told that one of them will have to glean the other. It sounds right up my street and I'm really excited to read it.

I got Zenith by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings! Yes, the main reason I got this is because of Sasha, but it also sounds so amazing. Its another YA fantasy about a girl called Androma who is a powerful mercenary, but she's known to her friends aboard her starship as Andi. When a routine mission goes wrong the crew is tested when they are faced with a bounty hunter from Andi's past. Its got spaceships and a strong, badass female lead so I am super excited about it.

I had to get Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout, which is the second book in the Dark Elements trilogy. I loved the first book in this series which I received as a gift from my friend Lish (look whos been mentioned twice in one post). I love the characters and any book with demons is a book for me. Its about a girl called Layla whos half demon half gargoyle who can kill someone with a kiss. After the way the first book ended I needed to get the next one and I know I'll be reading it soon.

Finally, A Love Like Blood by Marcus Sedgwick which I picked up new for just £2.99 in hardback! This was such a great find, its a dark, compelling thriller about a man whos life changes when he sees a man apparently drinking the blood of a murdered woman and he sets on his journey to discover the truth. I don't mind if its actually about vampires or just some creep who likes drinking blood, I love a good mystery and I found myself drawn to this book.

That is all for now, it was a fair amount of books. I am trying to cut back on how many I buy which is why these were from the past couple of months, not all bought in one go.

- Claire
















No comments:

Post a Comment